Friday, April 18, 2008

My Sports Life is a Rock Song: "Same Old Song and Dance"

I'll admit: I've been a huge Aerosmith fan for most of my life. Call me whatever, but they're one of the first bands I really started rocking out to back in the day. I haven't actually made an attempt to listen to them for many years, until just now. And, just as I remembered, "Same Old Song and Dance," though it comes from Get Your Wings -- one of the best albums they ever put out -- is a terribly awful, monotonous and uninventive song. Today, however, it serves a purpose. It is not a purpose full of stone cold rhymin', but it is one that must be addressed. Often times, my colleague -- the one that writes here from time to time -- frustrates the living hell out of me, so much that I want to board the nearest jet, fly to his home town, and work his noggin like a speed bag. The majority of said times, my irritation is likely to have stemmed from him being accurate in some obnoxious fashion or other. Not following? I'll clarify. Right after the jump.

As I was saying, Old No. 7, in his infinite wisdom, offered this tidbit earlier in the week:

Every time I get a little bummed about the current state of my favorite football team, I simply glance toward our divisional rivals in KC and suddenly I’m walkin’ on sunshine.


Believe me when I say it burned every fiber in my soul to honor him with a block quote in one of my posts. The sad truth in doing so, though (sigh), is that he's right. If you haven't noticed (see Arrowhead Addict or Arrowhead Pride for extensive coverage), the Chiefs, in all likelihood are going to trade Jared Allen. What will probably happen after such a trade, is that the Chiefs will continue hoarding draft picks -- they already have 10 slated for this month's selection process -- and continue "building" Herm's dream team. Notice the lack of capitals, there; those words are utterly undeserving. Yes. The Chiefs will construct this club through the draft and enter still another season with six (Editor's Note: That number was selected at random.) of a 500-piece puzzle, and, in all likelihood, have another 4-12ish type of campaign. Good. Times. The times are so good, in fact, that I have three issues to address here.

One

Believe me when I say that I'm stoked about this



being the result of this



Trouble is, I was around, and very much a fan for this



Similarly, I'm stoked about these guys



but I experienced this



The point, though, is that the Chiefs, at least in my lifetime, simply haven't pulled it off. In fact, they've only really come close once. And I'm sick of it. I want this



I want it now. No more excuses. No more waiting. No more stupid-ass moves, like trading Jared Allen.

Two

There. Now that that tantrum is out of my system, I'll say this: I'm not going to put Carl Peterson in the hot seat for this. That's every other member of Chiefs Nation's job. I've said it before; I'll say it again: the guy puts together a competitive squad every year. It's on the coaches to coach the players, and the players to win the games. Now, hiring Herman to coach the players is a different morsel to chew on, one I won't unwrap today. In fact, I probably won't ever. Seven does a pretty decent semi-periodic job of it. I do have this to say about Peterson's reign: It's the same old story, same old song and dance. Pulling out stops, turning tricks, plugging holes, and finding any other sub-excellent theory on how to bring home the trophy. It hasn't worked, and it won't work. Not in this lifetime.

Three

After reading a number of articles and comments, I'm left with this one (and it burns):

“It’s a situation that works out best for both sides,” Allen told FOXSports.com. “I can go to a team that is competing for a championship right now. The Chiefs can get valuable draft picks to rebuild with.”

(quote courtesy of the Addict)

My take on Allen's perspective looks something like this:

Dear Jared Allen:

Fuck off. And die. Championship right now? You've been in the league for four years? Try waiting 28. Please help yourself to the biggest bowl of taint sweat you can get your jackass hands on. That is all.

Sincerely,

bankmeister

What will follow? The inevitable, "Hey man, if you had a chance, you'd take it, blah, blah, blow me. The bottom line is that I'm not interested in waiting around to see if a John Buck, Mark Wood, and Mark Teahen are out there to be obtained in exchange for Allen's services. With the Royals, being patient was easy. They won a title. They fell into the murky depths of baseball, and appear to be finally climbing their way out. It doesn't take that long -- see things like salary cap, even playing fields, and equal chances to compete for clarification -- to get it turned around in football, and if Herm's way is going to work, Allen is a huge part of the complete package. Allen feels betrayed because he wasn't given a fat contract? There's no 'i' in team, bud. You're making, even with the franchise tag, ridiculous money. Ever heard of a guy named Tony Gonzalez? He handled these situations -- note use of plural -- with patience, class, and understanding. So, please, feel free to cram a handful of rusty razors in your bottle of O'Doul's, and fucking choke. Unless the deal works out and you stay and play at a high level. Then we're cool. Until then, may you never even sniff the Grey Cup, ass face, let alone my Lombardi.

If it all shakes down the way it appears it will, Allen will be gone, and I'll be watching my children waiting for a Super Bowl. Fucking. Awesome. I guess this is where I try to remain thankful for the good tracks -- "Lord of the Thighs" and "Train Kept A Rollin'" on Get Your Wings, certain that the operations at One Arrowhead Drive will always be the same.

2 comments:

Cecil said...

I can't believe you didn't pick something from "Pump."

Cecil said...

I need to do one of these.

Except right now it would probably be "Nervous Breakdown" by Black Flag or "Headcleaner" by Einsturzende Neubaten, which is just 9 minutes of high-pitched feedback tone.