Thursday, May 10, 2007

Fatlock Follies: Get a Brother a Mic (and Seven Sandwiches) Now!


As much as I'd like to spend a few moments talking about a certain someone moving into 2nd place -- in a game-winning effort no less -- on the all-time Kansas City Royals homerun list, more important topics are at hand. I'll bet most folks have an idea who he trails, by the way.


Let's back up a minute, though. We need to talk about sports in a more global sense, and by "we need to talk," I mean the world needs to listen. To Jason Whitlock.
I know. I never thought I'd say it either. But this is important. After years (and then some) of reading his mutterings of retardation in The Kansas City Star, I believe that Whitlock now brings validity to the table in the form of a main course that must'nt be ignored. That's all I'm going to say on the matter. I challenge our readership to click on both of the last two links and open a comment-based discussion. Be studious. Be rank. Be vulgar. Be clean. Just be opinionated. This is one of the biggest issues in the sports, if not the entire, world, right now. So let's have an official HoG debate.

3 comments:

Cecil said...

I'm torn.

On the one hand, I think Fatlock will write anything that brings him a modicum of attention. And his take that somehow Title 9 is responsible for the plight of African-Americans in college sports--dude, drop that needle. You're nodding. No argument reaches quite the level of absurdity as "we're marginalized, and it's these other marginalized folks' fault." Please. It's like the one angry old black vet who writes the Rocky complaining about "Illegal Mexicans."

But on the other hand, he's one of, if not the only, African-American sportswriter to take on the larger issues affecting the Black community. The worship of "hustlin'" and the Idea of the Pimp, for instance. Too many black leaders are quick to cry out at any injustice, real or perceived, but let their own children terrify their communities into submission.

So again...torn. I kinda like the unfettered Whitlock these days. Especially when he talks about how awesome John Elway was.

Unknown said...

Wojewhatuverthefuckhisnameis is fuckin' jackoff.

That was one of the most biased interpretations of a forum I have ever read. He should be working for the damn Whitehouse.

He missed Whitlock's point entirely and made no attmept to even address it. He deciced to grandstand with the most PC perspective, and that has become a serious problem in modern media, politics and education.

Whitlock simply makes his point that culture is emphasizing a lifestyle and values that may be negative in the long run. I disagree with every bone in my body with Imus' idiocy. However, that does not mean that I agree with Stringer's performance (and I do believe it was a performance ... she hurt her cause more than helping it), nor does it mean that I disagree with Whitlock's stance.

I am happy to see a lively debate taking place. Without perspectives like Whitlock's, than a debate simply becomes a neverending circle-jerk of self-righteousness. The very fact that she attacked him makes his point.

Jason is used to taking a lashing. Hell, he thrives on it. Most often it's deserved. In this case, it is not. Whitlock, fight the power.

Arrowhead Addict said...

Jabba the Whitlock is something else, man.