Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Baseball In The Daytime: 5-7-08

Our first day games of the week tee off this afternoon with two selections from the Senior Circuit and one from the Junior. If I seem a little hung over today, well, it's because I am.

One of the few things my brain has been able to handle this morning was this video, suggested by Mr. Olney. MLB does not allow you to embed its clips into the blogs, but even if they did I doubt I could have pulled it off. Blame the tequila. After the jump, we'll get our hands dirty with some game previews and vomit...

Chicago Cubs @ Cincinnati, 10:35 Mountain Adding intrigue to BITD for exactly two people in the world is a fantasy baseball trade made on Sunday. I acquired Carlos Guillen from my cousin Brian for a package of players that included Reds righty Edinson Volquez. It was tough to part with the kid, but my infield is in shambles. Now, in a cruel gesture fit for Shakespeare, Brian sends Volquez to the mound against me today. Jon Lieber is your Cub starter, if you require these sorts of details.

NY Mets @ LA Dodgers, 1:10 The NL representatives for the nation's two largest media markets wrap up their series today with a getaway contest in Chavez Ravine. John Maine, who was actually born in Virginia, goes against Brad Penny, who makes more than one cent. So what I'm saying is these guys' names are totally misleading. Just wanted to clear that up.

Baltimore @ Oakland, 1:35 I love The Wire, and I love Tupac, so whom shall I pull for in this game? Both the seminal television series and the rap kingpin are dead, but today their legacies are honored by starting pitchers Jeremy Guthrie and Joe Blanton. Two street gangstas if I ever saw 'em. Since I acquired Blanton as a throw-in in the aforementioned Guillen deal, I suppose I'll side with the A's and hope Omar doesn't come after me.

XM Radio MLB game schedule

DirecTV Extra Innings schedule

MLB.TV entry page

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the shirt on Bert. He lives in the town I went to high school in, and I occasionally see him (and his not-so-famous son, Todd) around town. He used to own a breakfast and burger joint named "Blyleven's Dugout" that failed miserably, however the burgers were quite delicioso.

HOF 2009?

old no. 7 said...

I think he has to get in eventually based on the strikeout numbers. If memory serves me he has 287 wins, short of the completely arbitrary threshold of 300. Never won 20, never won a Cy, only a 2-time All-Star. But I still think he gets in.

Unknown said...

He had a wicked pissa' of a curve. Not that a good curve is a HOF pre-req, but he was fun to watch.

Cecil said...

He's also really high on the all-time shutout list, as I recall.

I'd put him in over Jim Kaat.

Cecil said...

BTW, Brian: what town did you grow up in? I know Chris told me that it was "Orange County," but that's kinda like saying I'm from Colorado...

Unknown said...

Born and raised in Orange (a few miles from your beloved Irvine). High school at Todd Blyleven and Aaron Fucking Boone's alma mater; Villa Park. I'm surprised Chris didn't say "LA". He has a loose memory.

old no. 7 said...

Aaron Boone should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Unknown said...

Proof you are a fair weather Reds fan

old no. 7 said...

I could not be a more fair-weather Reds fan. I only like them when it benefits my fantasy team or my gambling jones.