Thursday, March 6, 2008

Meet The New Boss

There are things in life that you wish would happen, but deep down you know they never will. Like Led Zeppelin touring again. I had resigned myself to the fact that it would never, ever happen, but lo and behold, here we are (maybe).

The Bailey Brothers playing for the Broncos was another. Of course I've loved the Champ Era in Denver, he's one of the best football players I've ever witnessed. But my desire to reunite the ex-Georgia Bulldawg brethren goes deeper than sheer gridiron talent. Their names are Champ and Boss. And now both will patrol the defense of your Denver Broncos.

There's no word if the other Baileys (Ace, Buddy, Sport, Pal, Chief, Dude, Sparky, Bub, Killer, Tiger, Bro, Buster, Pardner, Captain, Hoss, Tex, Slim, Slugger and Tough Guy) are willing to sign free agent contracts. Although if they do make visits, it must be known that they need to make hotel reservations.

I'll just let the joy from this momentous occasion sink in, and let the questions I have wait until later. Like, will Boss start at strongside? Will D.J. move to weak? Will Niko really man the middle every down? Will these guys play in the kicking game?

And most important, how will their jerseys be lettered? Will Boss continue to don the 97 he wore in Detroit? I think linebackers wearing numbers in the 90s look bad ass. And most important, will the brothers Bailey adopt initials for their first names? Because that would suck.

My wife has a custom #24 jersey that says "Champ" on the back. If I didn't carry a huge hex that made the wearer of any jersey I purchased instantly blow out his knee, I might do the same with a Boss. Instead I'll just snag one of these bad boys:

8 comments:

rustoleum said...

This is a great day in Denver history. No matter what we'll always be better than KC. How old did zeppelin look, I know they've been around for awhile, but they looked like they were 90... except John Paul Jones

blairjjohnson said...

Yeah. Like that time you spent a decade getting your ass handed to you by KC. Those were good times, times that clearly measure up to your crack-pipe statements.

Um, and for your information, JPJ always looked as young as he does. Thanks for being profound at nothing.

Unknown said...

March 7,2008 7:23 PM

A Great Day in Denver history...cuz some 70's band looked old.
A real excercise in logic...for sure.
If you have a Bailey on your team, especially a cool-named brother: you will win the AFC West.
Denver will be 0-2 vs. Chiefs next year.
Karmic victory, it will be.
DKC

old no. 7 said...

Ready and willing to make any wager on KC sweeping Denver next year. Just name the terms...

Cecil said...

If the Chefs sweep Denver next year, I will drop trou whilst standing on a table in the middle of McCoy's.

Hercules Rockefeller said...

KC wont even sweep the Raiders next year.

blairjjohnson said...

I'd like in on that Raiders sweep bet. How much?

blairjjohnson said...

I like "Meet the New Rodney" much better.