Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Quest for the Cup: HoG's Conference Finals Preview

Operation Instigate Phase Three -- commence. It's Conference Finals time, ladies and gents, and make no mistake: These two series will be brutal. It's that time of year when no man returns home unsore, bruiseless. No loss hurts more than a loss in the round before the finals, even if it is just one game. We are about to witness an incredible second half to the NHL Playoffs. In one sphere, grit, savvy, and dominant netminding will be the gauges for which team comes out on top. The other promises a dual between speed, youth, a mild blend of veteran seasoning and storied tough guys with wit and fortitude. These games will be grinders, scenarios in which the first error, and perhaps the last, will cost the contest. Let's jump ahead for a look at the two sets of foes, and how my predictions have (or haven't held up).

My 28-15 predictions record for the Quarter-Finals got me off to a good start; I improved to 42-27 with the closing of the Semis. With a possible total of 21 games left before Cup hoistage, I've really got to flog the donkey sans grace to fall below .500. That said, let's inspect the matchups.

The East









These Keystone State foes have never before grappled in a Conference Final. They have met a handful of times in the post-season, Philadelphia nabbing all but the first of those four matchups. The Pens' handling of the Rangers was more than impressive. I expected that they'd improve upon last year's playoff meltdown, but I wasn't certain they'd be able to handle dual advances. Then again, the Rangers didn't even look like the same club we saw play in the Quarters. Add to the mix that the Flyers, though they had a long first round, wasted little time caressing the Canadiens with their brotherly love. Montreal and Pittsburgh play a similar brand of hockey, and if the Flyers stick to their game, they should be able to dominate Pittsburgh. Should they try to get wise and re-invent the hard rubber disc, there'll be trouble. My guess is that the brutish experience of the club formerly known as the Broadstreet Bullies clamps down on Crosby and company, and pulls the upset. I'm not pulling any punches, though: It'll take seven games to melt the Igloo.

The West










As I mentioned here, I couldn't possibly be less stoked about this series. The Sharks were my last hope to root for the West, and by golly, they almost got their digs with Dallas squared around. They went down 3-0, then won two, the second of which had an overtime thriller. Game Six, of course, took almost four full overtimes to win, and when Stars captain Brendan Morrow re-directed a cross-crease pass in front of Evgeni Nabokov, it was a thing of beauty. I hated every ounce of that frozen chunk of time, but it looked pretty nice happening. Nevertheless, these two D's -- Douches and Dildos, for all I care -- will square off, the hockeytown clowns getting the home-ice edge, as usual, in what will likely be an epic series. And I'll hate it.

Yes. I'll watch it, but for all intents and purposes, it might as well be the Broncos and the Raiders playing for the AFC Championship. What does a Chiefs fan do in that scenario? I don't know, but it probably sounds a bit like, "Go, N-F-C team! Go, N-F-C team!" Totally lame. It works out alright, though, since I happen to like the Flyers and the Penguins both. My boy Bunky in D-town hopes for a Flyer sweep, while The Lone Reader's likely got his Penguins broom out in hopes of dusting off Philly in time to get some Cup Finals rest.

Me? I say the Flyers' Finals foe is the Wings. Has to be. The Stars looked like they'd knock the Sharks off early, but they let them back in. Way back in. Detroit won't let a club off the hook for mistakes like that. Mike Babcock's club in six.

0 comments: