Wednesday, June 11, 2008

We Are Hot Chicks Wednesday: It's All in the Name



I've only seen two or three episodes of "My Name is Earl," but I liked it enough to watch it again, next time I'm not drunk on the couch flipping between "Family Guy" episodes I've already seen. Forecast looks like: not anytime soon. It's pretty good, though. If memory serves, Earl, played by Jason Lee, decides one day he's unhappy with his largely unproductive, semi-sinful life, and he makes a list of the bad things he's done. In each episode, he sets out to fix one thing. Pretty cool premise, and I'm a huge Lee fan. Loved him in all of the Kevin Smith flicks, and most everything else, too. Hell, my name -- given to me by an ex, was spawned from a Lee character (the personality of whom reminded her of me) in a Smith film. (Editor's Note: Yes. That character winds up agreeing to do something semi-gayish at the end. Ha ha. Million laughs.) Since we're on the subjects of names, let's click the handy link for a look at some folks of nominal interest.

Fabiana Semprebom



Fabiana Semprebom. Now, I'm no linguist, and I'm not going to break down origins here, but "sempre" is similar to the Latin root word for "always." "Bom" makes me think of "bum," and "Fabiana" closely resembles "fabulous." Yup. Fabulous Alwaysass. Slap a price tag on that package, and sell it.

Aria Giovanni



This one would work great in a story with the line "in this, the day of my daughter's wedding." Great story. Great name. Rough gig being her Pappy.

Helen



Simple, short and sweet.



Just like the look and the outfit.

Lyn Nealey



I've always had an interest in full names where the first letter ends with the same letter with which the last name starts. Fountains are nice, too.

Jennifer Lamiraqui



I'll bet this guy never imagined there'd be a name that rhymed with his.



Well, he was wrong,



and Jennifer is oh-so right. The Space Cowboy ain't got nothin' on her.

Alexandra Kamp



It's always odd when common-word names have a letter swapped out in them. I'm over it, though.

Stephanie Swift



Getting alliteration and an adjective out of your last name: priceless.

Cristal Houston



Variations from common spellings can be neat. Other times they're intolerable. This is one of the latter, but throw in a rack and a gaze a city for a last name, and all's forgiven.

Elin Grindemyr



This is a spelling catastrophe that appears to be the offspring of Ellen DeGeneres and Elvis Grbac. Heebie. Jeebies.



Not Elin, though. She all-right.

Heidi Rae



Though Miss Rae, preferrably with tub, doesn't bother me, the name Heidi does.



Especially when she's a green blonde.

Summer Altice



Attention: Parents that name their daughters Summer.



By doing so, you hereby waive the right to "act surprised" when she turns up stripping for a living.



But please, don't get me wrong.



It's a good and wonderful thing.

Rosalynd Joyce



That last name translates to "bound for greatness," and by "greatness" I mean pleasure.

Georgia Jones



Got a common last name?



Spice it up with a dazzling first.



Or a middle. Or a...what was I saying?

Kelly Carlson



I'm not ashamed to admit that I like the music of Kelly Clarkson. My wife and I both like her stuff.



When it comes to Kelly Carlson, though, I speak softly, and carry a big stick of some sort or another.

Kortnie O'Connor



Ding. Ding. The champ has entered the ring,



and she can call herself whatever she wants.

Lexi Lombardelli



I'm all for nicknames, but you've got a draw a line.



With any luck, that line runs through the crack, yielding forgiveness.

And that's the name of this week's game. Fill out the card on your way out for gifts from our sponsors.

1 comments:

@slushygutter said...

Summer is my favorite time of year...nice.