Monday, July 2, 2007

Andy Dufresne, Basic Cable and Charlie Hustle




For those of you with basic cable, or channel surfing tendencies, or both, you know what I mean when I say that "The Shawshank Redemption" is on all of the freaking time. It should be broadcast regularly; it's a damn good flick. As often as it is? Maybe not. Had I known how frequently TNT and TBS and anyone else that airs it would air it as often as they do, I never would've purchased a copy of it so many years ago.







The other night, watching extra innings baseball between the Cardinals and the Royals, my buddy and I were bullshitting.






That Sammy Sosa dude had just hit his 600th homerun, my buddy noted that he'd always thought Ken Griffey would break the record, and we wasted a few seconds talking about Barry Bonds.





And, like I always do about All-Star-Game time of year, I got fired up about the atrocity of Pete Rose's non-existence in Cooperstown.





I'm not writing this post to spark a debate (though opinions and commentary are always ignored cherished). I'm writing to let any and all HoG readers know that from this day forth, I vow, a la, Andy Dufresne, to write one letter to baseball's commissioner on every weekday until The Hit King is unbanned, and in the Hall. Yes. Dufresne wrote one letter every week. I'm going to write one every day.




To those of you who think that's stupid, more power to you. For those that don't and want to send a letter of your own, have at it:





The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner, 245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor, New York, NY 10167. Phone: (212) 931-7800.





I wish you the best of luck.



It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. Er, uh -- somebody probably already did, but whatever. My idea's better 'cause it had to do with the movies, and everything that happens on film is possible in real life. Right?

Either way, check back in as I post entirely interesting updates on the changes to the body of said letter.


Update: Follow this link or click on Letters to Bud over under "Sports an' Shit" to keep tabs on my word.

Update: It occurred to my that after occasions in which the United States Postal Service has been closed, Bud's office may very well receive two letters from me in the same day, 'cause I don't take days off (playoffs?!?). Good times for them.

2 comments:

Hercules Rockefeller said...

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Unknown said...

Brooks was here
So was Red