Friday, August 15, 2008

Musings from Roy F. Almania: Really Good Teams

It's been many a week since I loaned cousin Roy from Joplin the keys to the House. He's had quite a busy summer, and for the most part, he's been out of touch with the sport goings-on of the world. Except for when it comes to the Royals of course. He claims to maybe have one more post in him this season, but in the event that he doesn't, I suppose it's fitting that the Royals take on New York tonight.

I can't say I'm overly thrilled with my boys in blue at this juncture of the season. Tonight, the Royals will kick off their final series at the ol' confounded Yankee Stadium, and I have absolutely no idea just how they'll fare. I reckon I have a hunch, and that lies somewhere along the lines of Yankee bats exploding and New York pitchers really havin' their stuff. But dear God in heaven, I hope I'm wrong. From there the boys will travel to Cleveland, just before coming home to face the Tigers and the Rangers, before hittin' the road again for another series with Detroit. After that, one series with Oakland and one with Seattle are the only non-AL Central clubs they'll face.

So it's time for them to be tested.

This season has been an interesting one, a campaign in which I know cousin Bank' really had his heart set on some .500 ball. Can't say I wasn't with him on those hopes neither. At times, they've shown the potential to get there, but they've really been sub-par when it comes to facing really good teams.

They sometimes manage to nab a victory from clubs that wear Sox, the Angels, the Twins, and the Yankees. But more often than not, they drop those series, appearing to be the minor-league club of which they've been the butt of so many jokes.

So it's left to be seen if they can hang with the big boys, the really good teams, the clubs that make perennial playoff appearances, or come darn close to it.

I'm a tip my hat to Mr. Moore, Mr. Hillman, and the players, and hold my head high above the hay bales, ever-optimistic that things will continue to look up for my Royals. My fields are tended to for the day, so I'm tippin' a Bud to the last game in Yankee Stadium forever. Go get 'em, boys.

0 comments: