Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Sermon: What the Image Says



Now, almost every single post-season game has gone the way I hoped it would. Yesterday's Titans-Ravens game was a disappointment, only in terms of the final outcome. I'd like for Jeff Fisher to get one, and the whole Kerry Collins story was neat, too. Smash, and Dash, however, can drink a simmering vile of panther urine for all I care. That game, though, left a most profound thought smattered across my brain...

...and that is the fact that the Kansas City Chiefs are really no where near to contender status. The defenses displayed by both Tennessee and Baltimore were beyond impressive. They stopped the run, they hit guys like freight trains, they played their positions, they trusted one another, they wrapped up their tackles, they made picks, and they kept it to a field-goal game, more or less. It was remarkable.

Since Carl Peterson stepped down as GM for the Chiefs, I've waivered a bit on whether or not I think Head Coach Herman Edwards should be retained for another year. Now I'm certain he should not. He's a defensive-minded coach that would be entering his fourth year of this program. His secondary can hit hard and pick off a few passes. But they don't wrap up, they don't stay in position, they don't have trust, and they get smoked because the linebackers and linemen are flippin' terrible. Perhaps, if you don't count his first year here, this upcoming third season with "his players" is just what he needs to get this thing righted, but the gap between the Chiefs defense (last in the league) and that of both clubs on the field yesterday in Tennessee are astronomical, a leap very few could make, I imagine.

I suppose the same argument could be made for the Denver Broncos, but that stand is for some other guy on some other job.

Miscellaneously speaking, I'm pumped for the Cardinals. Really? An NFC Championship in Arizona? That's freaking nuts. Now, how to root in this Pittsburgh/San Diego tilt -- that's beyond me.

4 comments:

Cecil said...

Alright, Hoss, I'm stumped: what the fuck is a "simmering vile"?

blairjjohnson said...

Work with me, dude. Obviously, it should read "a vile of simmering panther urine." Tough crowd.

Cecil said...

A vile, simmering vial indeed.

blairjjohnson said...

Ouch. Nothing more humbling than attempting to correct yourself and overlooking a second error. Herm must be rubbing off on me, and by "rubbing off on me," I mean his vocab must be rotting my brain.