Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Sermon: At Long Last...

...the Tech Fee.I wanted to have a moment to digest the news from Friday, and now I don't really feel like getting into it. So, for the purposes of having a "Herm Got Fired" House of Georges post, I'll simply acknowledge the occurrence, and add a few comments.

1) I can't ever remember a time where Joe Posnanski and Jason Whitlock published same-day columns in The Kansas City Star and I vehemently sided with the latter over the former. On Saturday, based on the fact that J.P. thought it was unfair for Chiefs GM Scott Pioli to wait 10 days and J.W. did not, I did just that. Posnanski thought Herm deserved some respect and not to hang in the wind; Whitlock thought it honored what Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt wanted: patience and research.

2) The media circus on Friday afternoon regarding the possibility of Mike Shanahan replacing Herm was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever witnessed. Jack Harry claimed it would happen. Chris Mortensen jumped on that train. Adam Schefter staunchly denied it, and in the end, Shanahan laughed. What a joke.

3) I'm equal parts confident and nervous as to who the 11th coach in Chiefs history will be. To all the local and national media that kept saying the new guy would be the 12th: Well, you were wrong there, too.

4) Old No. 7 had a pretty good idea what was in store for this franchise when the Edwards hiring was announced. I did not, and I feared he was right. He of course was. That was rock freaking bottom.

5) Perhaps there was something humbling about enduring a two-win season. I don't know what else -- aside from shameful, embarrassing, brutal, pathetic, ridiculous, absurd, retarded, infuriating, etc. -- to label it. I feel pretty good that I'll never again have that experience. Sure. It's possible. Anything is. But I wouldn't wish that upon any fans of any rival franchises. Not even Broncos fans. All I can say is that I'm glad it's over. I have a feeling we'll hire Todd Haley, who I'm not that stoked about, but we might as well get the damn Super Bowl over with, and get back to moving forward.

0 comments: