Friday, June 13, 2008

National Football League, You Go Too Far


For those who haven't been near a television or computer in the last few hours--and to you both I say, how do you manage to keep those flint arrowheads from breaking in the pouch?--the world of honest journalism had a death in the family. Tim Russert, host of Meet the Press for what seems like forever and the head of NBC News' Washington bureau, died suddenly today of a heart attack while preparing for his show.

It's a pretty big deal. Television folks are rarely considered "real" newsmen, but Russert sure was. He asked the most probing questions, his reporting was beholden to no ideology and he wasn't afraid to call it as he saw it--no small matter these days, with GMNewsCorpWestinghouse sending marching orders to outlets nationwide, including his.

But to nfl.com, that wasn't the story. The kicker on a pretty nice little piece from Vic Carucci--an unabashed Buffalo Bills homer, it should be said--read thus:

Tim Russert made a name for himself by hosting NBC's "Meet the Press." But Russert, who passed away Friday at the age of 58, may best be remembered for his love for the Buffalo Bills.


Um, this is where my sports fandom puts its heels in the dirt. A hero of the newsroom, a guy who did some of the best work in his field in his generation, may go down as first and foremost a fan of the fucking Buffalo Bills?

This shit we do is, as the cliche goes, slacking off in the toy department of life. For the same reason I hate columnist/talking heads like Skip Bayless spewing fake outrage over the Mets' No. 2 starter, I hate when the major sports themselves--nfl.com is obviously run by the big boys in Goodell's office--try to insinuate themselves into stories like this.

And yes, I realize that this lil' add-on was written by some web editor. I realize it's a small thing. But these are the same people who offered succor to Adam Schefter. You have to watch them constantly.

9 comments:

Kyle said...

Stay classy, NFL.

Unknown said...

Russert was good ... even great.

I never much liked his debate questions ... too wordy and self-centered.

I have no issue with nfl.com mentioning his love of sports. That's their angle. They wanted to offer a tribute to a man they respected and mentioned that he was a big Bills fan. Do you think that would upset Russert? I sincerely doubt it.

I know when I pass away folks will talk about the teams I followed. It's a big part of my life and it may have been a big part of his. I think it's important to emphasize more than a person's career when you offer memorium. Everyone I know is much larger than their career and few of them want to be defined by it.

I'm pleased that the NFL offered a human touch. That's not too far, man. It's just pointing out that Russert, while an outstanding and successful journalist, was also a lot like us. He had his team and he followed them. I'll bet he'd appreciate that note.

Cheers,

TLR

Cecil said...

Sure, and I agree with you for the most part. It was the words "may best be remembered."

That's what caught me. Who outside of an nfl.com web editor, a position I imagine as basically involving a PR flack with a computer terminal, could say that and believe it?

At worst, it's in terrible taste and at best it's sloppy editing. Either way, it's a fail.

old no. 7 said...

Johnny Cash, best remembered for his love of nachos.

Cecil said...

Mahatma Gandhi, widely recalled for his extensive collection of Hummel figurines.

Blanche Feverpiss said...

Tim Russert. A tremendous interviewer at times . I really enjoyed the way he held most politicians accountable. He will be missed.

Unknown said...

Gentlemen,

It is truly sad that our culture is so hung-up on profession and career advancement. It is difficult for me to comprehend that a couple of sports fans would be offended because an editor had the audacity to mention a component of someone's personality outside of their work. You know, gents, it IS possible that some folks may actually be a little more familiar Russert than either of you. Do you think his family and close friends will spend the coming weeks recalling all of his great contributions to journalism ... doubtful.

Perhaps to you, Russert's life was strictly a slew of journalistic contribution. That makes sense. It's all we've ever seen of him. In the end, however, I think it's important to remember that we are all our own authors. You may choose to perceive Russert as a 24/7 journalist who kept his interviews honest. I'll bet some folks remember him more as a good friend, a big sports fan (Hell, he was a member of the board of directors for the Baseball Hall of Fame), or as a great father. Who are we to question or criticize someone's memory or recollection of another?

I am confident that when you one day pass on to the great beyond, folks will remember you for more than your career. I'll bet you sure hope they do.


-- TLR

P.S. Man, how the hell couldn't the Celts finish off that piss poor effort by the Lakers last night?

Cecil said...

Sweet Jesus, man. It's a matter of exactitude. And, as I said earlier, I agree with your larger point about fandom and its place in the overall scheme of your particular candle-length.

But I just don't know how most people will remember him as a sports fan instead of a journalist. I'm guessing not many outside of western New York.

Cecil said...

Add Lakers: I hate 'em and have no particular animosity toward the Celts.

Fuck Kobe the Rapist. Fuck the Zen Master, who realizes how much easier it is to reach Zen when you coach the two most talented players of the last 30 years, and fuck Jack Nicholson.

Yet I still want it to go seven games. What's wrong with me?