Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Baseball In The Daytime: 5-20-08

Back from a weekend hiatus in which Banky travelled to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (which is overrepresented by Chiefs and Steelers) and I went to a gay play manly ballgame with Cecil, we bring you another edition of Baseball In The Daytime. We're stuck with but the one contest this afternoon, and it's a Mets game no less. So after the jump we'll get into a few fun no-hitter morsels.

NY Mets @ Atlanta, 11:05 Mountain When I looked at the NL East prior to the season, I saw flaws in all of the teams. Florida has no money (they're in first place), Washington has no stars (accurate), Philly has no pitching (likewise), and Atlanta has a weird mix of elderly stars and low-upside prospects (pretty close). Los Mets, however, seemed to be stacked--they added Johan Santana to an above-average rotation, their lineup was loaded, and I still has faith in Willie Randolph.

Well, I was dead wrong. Santana has been effective but he's no panacea. Outside of today's starter John Maine (who's facing the Braves' Tom Glavine) the other starters have been atrocious (especially Oliver Perez). The bullpen can't hold a lead and the closer's a dick. And that vaunted offense has sputtered mightily. On those times I am forced to watch this wreck of a team, I find myself thinking that if you can retire David Wright you can pretty much sail through this lineup. It's basically a one-man batting order.

Lester No-Hits Royals It's nice to know that my personal no-hitter jinx has been exorcised. I watched the beginning of last night's KC-Boston game, left for dinner in the fourth, listened a bit on my way home, but only found out about Lester's bid in the ninth. I'm happy for the kid, happy for my own decision to stick with him on my fantasy team, and I'm blessed with a few leftovers this morning.

As Royals fan Rob Neyer pointed out (Insider required) on ESPN.com today, KC hadn't been no-hit since 1973. In fact, the last one (hurled by Nolan Ryan, his first of seven) occurred six days before I was born. This most recent no-no comes the same week I turn 35.

In that time, Neyer continues, the Royals have been one-hit a whopping 23 times, including once by current Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell.

I also find it remarkable that Jason Varitek has now caught four no-hitters in eight years, while Los Mets have been around since 1962 and have never had a pitcher record the feat (Ryan, Tom Seaver, David Cone and Dwight Gooden notched their hitless games after leaving Queens). So go get 'em, John Maine, and Play Ball!

0 comments: