Friday, February 29, 2008

Beer Thirty


I was going to start a new weekly feature today, but I ate a pretty heavy lunch. So fuck that. Maybe next Friday. Meanwhile, enjoy the same old crap as always...

The free agency signing period opened in the NFL today, and a few big-name dudes have new addresses. The Broncos let Zach Thomas go to Dallas, praise Allah, but for some reason retained Nate Jackson*. I've no idea what direction the team might head in with this free agent crop, but if I had my druthers this would be my shopping list:

1. Gibril Wilson--safety, NY Giants. The only big-ticket item on the list, Wilson puts a playmaker in centerfield. He can help or replace John Lynch and soften the losses of Hamza Abdullah and Nick Ferguson. With Madieu Williams already signed by the Vikings, Wilson is the only top-flight safety left on the market.

2. Boss Bailey--LB, Detroit. I know Boss has been a bust thus far. But put him on the same defense as his brother Champ and he could rebound nicely. If not, he could at least improve the special teams. Other inside backers I like are Landon Johnson and Dan Morgan (pending a physical). Special-teams types that could help include Mark Simoneau and Brendon Ayanbedejo.

3. Jake Scott--OG, Colts. I actually prefer Tennessee's Jacob Bell due to the fact that he's younger and more versatile, but if I can nab a starter from Peyton's line I'll do it every time. Also desirable: Pork Chop Womack, just because his name is Pork Chop. The tackle crop is very, very week (George Foster is actually one of the better options, if you can believe that shit). Getting bookends this year will be accomplished strictly through the draft via trade.

4. Marion Barber--RB, Cowboys. It ain't happening, but can you imagine? See also, Michael Turner and Billy Volek.

5. Rob Bironas--K, Titans. It's time. Anyone the Broncos sign or draft will come at a cost savings to Elam, with little neglibile change in performance.

*Note: No disrespect to Nate, he's solid. But I hope the signing period gives Denver a bit more punch.

Update: Simoneau re-signed with the Saints. What a dick.

3 comments:

Cecil said...

I like some of your thinking here, but the Raiders are supposedly offering Gibril Wilson 16 million guaranteed. Holy smokes.

Amen on Elam. I just finished hearing Jim Armstrong and Joe Williams cry woe over his possible departure. Seriously, do those guys even own color televisions? He's a (relatively) pricey player who can't kick off and isn't good from beyond 40. How many times last year did Shanahan go for it after Elam said he couldn't make from ___ distance? Spend a few bucks on a decent kicker and forget about it. We have bigger issues.

Cecil said...

Also: the greates indignity in the history of the series of tubes is being perpetrated at www.si.com, where the "more Broncos" link following the story about JW's release leads to...the Kansas City Chiefs' team page.

I'm cancelling my subscription to the internet.

Cecil said...

greatest, right.