Friday, June 1, 2007

Holy Fucking Shit

I don't know what you were watching last night, but there was a mind-blowing game on that you may have missed. It was a sport called basketball, and it is 100 per cent owned by this dude named LeBron. James. Man, he's really good. I'm not a stat guy but I think he scored over a thousand "points," as the announcers were calling them, many on moves called "dunks" and one "bat-shit crazy three-pointer."


Seriously, I might have to get back on board with the Association thanks to last night and young Mr. 23. Jesus. The Cleveland Cavaliers, outside of LeBron, might be the worst professional basketball team ever assembled. But last night King James could have taken the floor with the staff of the House of Georges and Urkel and won that game. He simply would not be denied. I loved the images of Tayshaun Prince, who's got a rep as a pretty damn good defender, repeatedly getting his forehead smothered by LeBron's balls on dominating dunks.

I've never been a LeBron guy until right now. He was overexposed in high school. He came into the league with Carmelo, who went to Syracuse (I'm from upstate NY) and ended up with the Nuggets (my NBA team), so I always wanted Melo to be better. He's not, but LeBron has struggled through a tough year. His attitude, commitment and desire have all been questioned this season, but he looks like someone on the brink of absolute dominating greatness. A ring would seal the deal.
I watched last night's game with extra interest due to our old buddy gambling. I have a friend who's in Vegas, and he called me yesterday asking how to bet the Pistons in the most profitable manner. We were both in agreeance that Detroit would not/could not lose. But the money line was something like minus-340, an absolutely preposterous number for a series that's been so closely contested. That got me thinking about the possibility of the Cavs pulling the upset, and I did a little reading on the subject. Simmons finally swayed me with his opinion (say what you will about the guy, but his playoff predictions have been pretty extraordinary). By the time I contacted my buddy again, he had already come to the same conclusion and laid two green benjamins on Cleveland at +170. So I felt personally invested in LeBron, even though it wasn't my money.

That wager took a roller-coaster ride through two epic overtime sessions, and for all I know my pal is dead in a gutter on the Strip. But if he survived, I'm going to have him investigate the odds on LeBron (and his sorry cast of extras) winning it all.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. +170 is pretty good, but what book was that in? Bodog hooked it up with a sweet +250 on the money line. If had had more than $5 in my account I would be (X) x $2.5 happier today.

As my favorite sports phrase goes; it is what it is. Oh well, $12.50 will get me three really nice golf balls to put into a lake/backyard/adjacent road tonight.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, and that #23 is pretty damn awesome. And by prett damn awesome, I mean totally fucking badass and finally completely deserving of the "King" gloss.

For the record, Kobe is still three rings better.

Unknown said...

NBA coverage on the HOG? Holy Shit.

I've said it before, and will say it again. LeBron James has single-handedly made the NBA worth watching again. If you haven't bought in yet, than give it a try. Unfuckin'believable. Prince is good, yes, but the Detroit Pistons are one of the two best defensive TEAMS in the league.

By the way, No 7, the LeBronless Cavs could smoke several NBA teams including the Celtics and the Sonics. He doesn't get those late game drives if Hughes and Gibson don't hit the 3s early.

The Cavs are still a few pieces away, and can easily lose this series. Those pieces will be their soon, and those 3 Koby O'Neil rings will be but a spot in the shadow of a King. This kid is something special.

Unknown said...

Yo,

I've been watchin' these NBA playoffs pretty closely. I'm pretty sure that "Melo" isn't playin' these days.

Why you gotta dis' my boy LeBron with that ridiculous-ass photo?

Cheers,

The Lone Reader

Unknown said...

I just can't let you get away with it, man. It stings too much.

Ummmm ... who exactly questioned LeBron's committment, attitude and desire all season? That's crazy talk. Those are actually some of his strongest attributes (Remember when he was diving after lose balls in the Olympics cuz "that's what you have to do if you wanna win?"), and they are the VERY attribures that have been absent from NBA stars since MJ (except the Big Fundamental, but, c'mon, he just doesn't have the flash. His nickname is, afterall, the Big Fundamental.) Last night was his first national showcase, but he works like that night in and night out. It is a pleasure to see.

Go Cavs.

Cheers,

The Lone Reader

rustoleum said...

I doubt, very seriously that you were watching that game last night no. 7. I'm sure you caught the highlights on espn. But that was one of the greatest performances you will ever see. And I know one thing Melo has that Lebron will never have...ask Jimmy B.

Unknown said...

Hey Youk', quit crying. If you crowd the plate, the heat will come. Everyone knows that. Why do you think Bonds wears the damn elbow pad?

While I recognize this is new to you Youk', it's pretty much parr for the course when you're hittin' well. Get used to it.

The Yanks cut it to 12.5 ... no way they can make a run ... right?

Cheers,

The Lone Reader

Cecil said...

OK--let's go easy on the slobber, there, everyone.

LeBron had a fucking great game. Maybe, I dunno, the Flip Murray could have figured out a way to double-team him consistently? Shit, give him three guys. Anytime a dude is scoring literally ALL of his team's points (final 25, all LeBron), you need to do everything barely short of murder to keep him from the hoop.

The King scored 10 points what, two games beforehand? And while Carmelo ain't playin' now, he did his level best to keep the Nugs in it all the way. And anyone who watched that series knew how close the Spurs were to really getting broomed.

So before we anoint the previously anointed with yet more anointment, let's let him actually get to the Finals. And win.

Which won't happen.

Cecil said...

P.S: The HoG takes a rumbleseat to nobody when it comes to NBA coverage.

Sincerely,

The Versus Network

blairjjohnson said...

Kobe's still a clown-ass douche bag, jewelry or not. More importantly, how did the Ducks manage to give up three goals and the lead in the final 20-plus minutes of last night's game? Insanity.