Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tradition Tuesday: Get your hat and COAT

Editor's Note: The rough focus of this blog is the rivalry between the Kansas City Chiefs (represented by Bankmeister) and the Denver Broncos (championed by Cecil and Old No. 7). It may seem unfair that it's two vs. one, but once KC gets that second Super Bowl we'll even out the delegation.

Seven years ago we started The Tradition, in which the Broncos fans traveled out to the Truman Sports Complex with their team, and the Chef-lovers returned to the Rocky Mountains with theirs. We tailgate, we talk massive amounts of shit, our wives occasionally get assaulted by rival fans, and we almost always watch the visiting team lose. It's a grand old time.


Here at the HoG, we're going to keep The Tradition alive all year long with Tradition Tuesday--a weekly state-of-the-rivalry address.


Our brothers-in-blog over at Arrowhead Addict are undertaking a neat little project that I'm just going to rip off today. They're running a poll on the COAT (Greatest Chief Of All Time) and breaking it down by position. As much as it sickens me, here's my ballot (comprised only of players I've watched--sorry, Len and Buck):

QB: I've got to go with Joe Montana. Which pretty much wraps up the crappy quarterbacking that KC has received over the past couple decades...a has-been dumped by another team who only played a couple seasons in the blood-and-urine unis is the best Chiefs QB of my lifetime. Nice work.

RB: Priest Holmes. Again, a pretty small sample size. But in between Marshall Faulk and LT, he was probably the best back in the game. There have been some other gems, in Okoye, Marcus and The Vagina Symbol.


TE: This one's pretty easy, a guy that will go down as the second-best tight end ever. The best?

OL: I have neither the time nor the patience to break down every single big ugly to pass through the Chef roster. Let's just give it to the best O-Line of this century thus far, Priest's blockers in 2003. Roaf, Shields, Wiegmann, Waters and Tait...big, measty, terrible, nasty and ferocious. I do not miss them.

DL: Obviously, Neil Smith is on there. As is Maas. And I'll round it out with Dan Saleamua and Art Still.

LB: It's an argument for another day, whether Derrick Thomas belongs in the Hall of Fame. I say yes, but he's a borderline case. No question, though, he gets the nod in the COAT ballot. I'll also take Donnie Edwards. Unfortunately for KC, I can't think of a worthy third. This has been a bad postion for this team recently.

DB: Old school, I'm taking Deron Cherry, Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross and another blank (Banky will have to fill those in upon his return). Those '80s Chief secondaries were very solid, especially against our Three-Amigos-era midget receivers. Like LB, though, not so hot recently.

SPECIAL TEAMS: I'm going to take Nick Lowry over Stoyanovich, pass on a punter, and in a shocker select Tamarick Vanover over Dante Hall. And let Marty coach 'em.

I suppose we could build a BOAT as well and play a simulated game between these two, which would be a one-sided Denver blowout. It might be more fair to just let COAT play the '98 team. And just like that, I am tired of talking about Kansas City. Fun town, good fans, but I'm done for a while.

0 comments: